Former Student Isaiah Rider Returns to Staley High School

Bryttany Holovach, Multi-Media Editor

When Isaiah Rider was taken out of his mother’s custody in early 2014, he said that he was scared he would never get to return to Staley. The state of Illinois removed Isaiah from mother Michelle Rider’s custody after she was accused of Munchausen Syndrome, which is when one fabricates or exaggerates about a patient’s condition. Isaiah has neurofibromatosis, a disease that causes tumors to grow on nerve throughout the body. In 2014, Isaiah began to have complications with his leg; violent tremors began to happen, according to Michelle. Lurie Children’s Hospital, where Isaiah was treated, told Michelle that the tremors were from anxiety and refused to give him any medicine, she said. Michelle continued to ask but according to her, nothing was done. While in the custody of Illinois, Isaiah was put into foster homes. He was set to attend Thornridge Hish School.

“For two weeks I went to Thornridge,” said Rider, “It was not a good experience. I did not enjoy it.”

According to Rider, Thornridge is was a rougher school than what he was used to. Due to medical and custody conditions, Rider hasn’t been able to attend school full time.

“It has been an experience because I haven’t been in school for the full nine months,” said Rider.

Recently, the state of Illinois cleared Rider to move into his grandparents’ residence, but not with his mother. Originally, Rider’s grandparents were out of district, but his transfer request was approved by the North Kansas City School District. Rider says he has enjoyed attending Staley so far.

“It’s great to catch up with everyone and everything since I last was here,” said Rider.

One thing Rider mentions is that it’s great to see his old friends and teachers at Staley.

“It’s great to see him back at Staley,” said sophomore Jayda Lee.

He continues to only have supervised visits with mother, rather than living with her. The courts have further investigation to do before Isaiah can return home. Michelle has clearly stated that she will be relentless until Isaiah is home again. “ We’ve been through so much; he’s worth fighting for,” said Michelle Rider.