Yearbook Wins All Missouri

Yearbook Wins All Missouri

Julie Hewitt, Editor

Legacy yearbook

The yearbook staff was notified this week that they earned an All Missouri award for the 2012 “Legacy” yearbook. Senior Megan Hynek, editor of last year’s yearbook staff, said winning the All Missouri is the yearbook’s equivalent to winning state.
Journalism teacher Cherié Burgett said that the Missouri Interscholastic Press Association gives the award. Books sent in to MIPA can earn up to 500 points, and books that earn 450-500 points win an All Missouri. The 2011 yearbook staff also earned the award.

“Getting the All Missouri was exhilarating. I didn’t think we would make it,” said Hynek. “The editor before me left really big shoes to fill.”

Creating the award-winning book required a lot of hard work from the staff.

“There was a lot of blood, sweat and tears that went into this yearbook,” said junior Allie Freese. “I don’t think people realize how many hours go into it, but it was a blast, and I loved everyone on the staff. It’s great to see that all the hard work paid off.”

The theme of the yearbook was “Is IT in you?” The cover was gray with raised green water droplets and a cut out. According to Burgett, this is the first year that the cover featured school colors and also the first year that the staff spent extra money on the cover. It ended up costing an extra $6,000.

“The yearbook staff worked hard last year to create a unique book. It started with the theme and cover, and it ended up with a really creative, innovative book,” said Burgett.

According to Burgett, the staff had to come back to school to work on the yearbook when other students were out of school.

“I don’t think people realize how hard they work, but those kids stay and work late nights and long after school is out for the summer,” said Burgett.

The National Student Press Association also recognized the quality of the book, rating it First Class with two marks of distinction and sent the staff a plaque to recognize their accomplishment.

“By happy accident, the NSPA sent two plaques, so I got to keep one of the plaques, and I’m going to hang it in my room,” said Hynek

Freese, the yearbook’s current editor, said she hopes that this year’s book will meet last year’s high standards.

“We’re planning on putting in just as much work, so we’ll see what happens,” said Freese.

Burgett also has high expectations for the yearbook this year.

“I have really high hopes for this year,” said Burgett. “It will be hard to top that book, but every year we hope to get better.”

Hynek said that creating this book was one of the hardest things she’s done, but is one of her biggest accomplishments, and she is happy with how everything turned out.