Welcomed With Open Arms

STTV's Maddie Lanaman and Hannah Palmeter

Paige Hawkins, Reporter

Sophomore, Victoria Norris, has become the first female wrestler in the programs history. She has been wrestling for four years now and has a passions and love for the sport. At the age of 12 her brother introduced her to wrestling.

“My brother got me into it, and at first I didn’t like it or want to do it, but it got better,” said Norris.

A girl participating in a male-dominate sport, Norris has faced many challenges. One of the difficulties she has been faced with is the upper body strength.

“Boys have more upper body strength than girls usually do, which makes things a little more difficult,” said Norris.

For Victoria, being a female wrestler is empowering because it shows that she is not weaker or less equal because she is a girl. “It’s fun to win knowing I’m a girl and I just beat a boy,” said Norris.

Being the only girl to have ever wrestled on the Staley team doesn’t bother her at all. “These coaches make it clear to the team that I’m just a part of it as all the boys are,” said Norris. “With my old team I felt like I didn’t belong.”

Luckily for her all of the coaches and boys who participate in wrestling have welcomed her with open arms and have been very accepting with the whole situation.

“I think having a girl wrestler on the team will change us as a whole,” said senior, Collin Baker. “She has many things to offer the team that we have never had before.”

Graphic By Catherine Garman

graphic-1024x568