It’s Not the End of The World

Quiana Reliford, Reporter

From all the back-and-forth Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and text messages, to the endless phone conversations that come along with insults, accusations and name calling, teenagers go through hardships just to maintain a temporary relationship.

Teens put too much pressure, time and energy into relationships.

Relationships take up a lot of time that teenagers just don’t have. Teens should be focused on school, homework and trying to get to an institute of higher education or toward their dreams and aspirations.

The pressure that’s put on teens to be perfect, wear the right outfit, say the right thing, “Did I turn my head the right way during our kiss?” is ridiculous.

I just got out of a relationship where my boyfriend wasn’t happy about my choice to go to Alabama for college. I promised him that we’d stay in touch; I promised him that I’d spend holidays with him. I promised him that we’d talk every night, but for some reason that wasn’t enough for him. I cried and almost changed my college plans until my mother sat me down and told me: “Quiana, it’s just high school. Men are going to come and go. If he can’t be happy for you for doing well in life then he doesn’t deserve you.”

In that moment, I realized he wasn’t worth my time or tears. So ladies and gents, don’t trip over high-school relationships. They were never going to last forever in the first place.