Students Find Clubs to Fit Their Interest

Alexis Howard, Reporter

There are school clubs for every interest, from language clubs to those which allow students to meet other people who share the same interests as them.

The cards and strategy game club is run by art teacher, Manabu Takahashi. It’s for anyone interested in card games, there’s no requirements to join, and they are always welcoming new people.           
Some games they play are Pokémon, Yu-Gi-No and Magic: The Gathering.

“The thing I enjoy most about the club is hanging out with my friends and making each other better with our strategies in the games,” said senior Jake Williams.

The club formed a few years ago, but it ended because it didn’t have many members. It started up again this year and has about 30 members.

“Originally it started because a few students were interested, and they just needed a nice place to play, so I decided, well why not provide it? Then I also got into it, so why not?” said Takahashi.

All that is needed to join is a card game. Members will let students borrow a game if they just want to try it out.

The Cards and Strategy club meets every Thursday during Falcon Time.
Another club that students attend is American Sign Language club, a club that was created a last year.  ASL club is hosted by Cheryl Stone, a school interpreter. Stone has been an interpreter for 19 years. Anyone can participate in the club, and they don’t have to know sign language. The club has about 20 members.

“I’m trying to learn as well,” said Spanish teacher Jennifer Newman, who participates in ASL club when she is free during Falcon time. They are learning basic signs like letters, words, and phrases.

“We are learning how to say various signs and along with some sentences. We do have some brief times to converse in sign language with one another,” said Cheryl Stone.
In ASL, Stone said she tries to cater to what the students want to learn in ASL and help them along the way.

American Sign Language club meets every Tuesday, all school year round.