The Unplugged Teen

Dawson Parks, Reporter

A teenager unplugged. While that is pretty unheard of in 2016, sophomore Skye Hardcastle doesn’t spend her weekends on her iPhone Tweeting and Snapchatting her friends. Her weekends are usually spent hunting or fishing with the men in her family.

Skye started hunting squirrels when she was 8 years old and caught her first deer in Osceola, Mo., at the age of 12. Skye said she also hunts locally, sometimes in Smithville, Mo., but when she wants to get bigger deer she goes back to Osceola.

“I hope that the biggest buck I have ever seen comes out of the bush,” Skye said. “I get really excited.”

Skye hunts by the seasons: turkey, squirrel, rabbit and deer, and she said her favorite hunting season is deer. When she makes a kill, her family eats the meat and donates anything left behind.

“I can’t wait to go home and show my family what I did,” Skye said of how she feels after a kill.

The family takes their deer to a taxidermist to clean and butcher it, and they end up with venison loin and other cuts of meat, including deer jerky. When they get the deer, that’s when they feast.

“I would say it’s better than sausage, better than steak, which is one of my favorite foods,” she said.

Along with hunting, Skye and her dad also go fishing in their free time. Hunting and fishing is what she considers her comfort zone.

“When I am in school, I am kind of a shy and quiet person, but when I go hunting, I can talk as much as I want to with my dad,” Skye said.

Skye said going hunting makes her happy, and she loves to do it, and fishing helps her take her mind off things.

“I don’t think about anything other than what I catch next,” Skye said. “I don’t think of school or anything; I just love the peace and quiet and all the nature around me.”

After hunting from a young age, Skye has proven she isn’t the average teenage girl, she has even out hunted all the men in her family — killing the biggest deer all season, 2015.