Student-Created App Helps Predict Grades

Megan Thompson and Maddi Lanaman

Marissa Hubbard, Reporter

New advancements in technology are giving students a new, easy-access platform to display not only work in the arts, but their own modifications to technology. More than ever, students are taking technology-specific classes, such as computer programming, computer applications, and graphic design. One student has moved from, “I’ve got an app for that” to “I’ve made an app for that.” Junior Jonah Witcig is one of the students who have launched multiple school and non-school related apps.

“I got the idea from hearing students asking teachers at the end of last year what test will do to my grade,” said Witcig, describing his inspiration for his “What’s My Grade” app.

Often students are left wondering what certain assignments, quizzes or tests will do for their grade. Teachers can’t always be relied on to tell each student how something will affect their grade, so Witcig decided to make an app that did exactly that.

“ I use it whenever we get new assignments and new grades are put in to keep the app updated,” said sophomore Ryann Kohls.

Witcig’s interest in making apps for smartphones began in 7th grade, spending late nights searching for more information on the Internet. He later took Programming I and II, taught by business teacher Lesley Martin.

“ I encourage them to do work on their own,” said Martin. “I got him started with the idea and helped here and there. He took off on his own.”

Already having made four apps for the Android and iPhone, Witcig said that he plans to continue with the app-making business and has some ideas for apps that would help both teachers and students. He premiered with his first app, Team Builder for Android, on April 27.

“There is a high demand for students in this field,” said Martin. “Everything we do is now on technology.”