Reactions To Graduation Change

Isabella Davis, Multi-Media Editor

Graduation has always been held at Staley, however this year is different. Senior Katie Mai was able to help get the location for the 2014 graduation changed after sending out a poll for the students to take.

“Everybody really encouraged me to do it,” said Mai.

Mai wanted to graduate somewhere that would allow all of her family to attend. She decided to make a poll and have students take it. The poll asked where students would rather have graduation, and the location was changed to the Community of Christ auditorium.

“I have a really large family, and I was really upset about not being able to have enough tickets for them all,” said Mai.

Most students are happy with the change, but there are those few that are unhappy that graduation got moved to a Church auditorium.

“My sister is getting deployed to Afghanistan 10 days after graduation and she has to report to base in Texas on May 19, so she won’t be able to come now,” said senior Colin Baker. “I’m very upset that she can’t come.”

Even though graduation is being held at a church, the auditorium is in a separate building and will allow room for a larger audience.

“I like that it was moved because now all of my family can attend,” said senior Chloe Woods.

Some students are upset because graduation was not only moved to a church, but the date changed as well.

“I have waited 12 years to graduate, I can wait another 24 hours,” said senior Ryan Mountz.

Graduation is now set for May 19, 2014 at Community of Christ Auditorium.