Puff Puff: More Students Addicted

Catherine Garman, Reporter

Cigarettes; rolled up, lit up, plugged in, it’s all the same.  It’s a way to put harmful toxins into your body, however many students have adopted this habit.

“I have had students come to my office smelling of smoke,” said nurse Tina Twarek.

According to the National Lung Cancer Partnership, two of the leading causes of lung cancer are smoking, and secondhand smoke. If someone smokes around students, they could also be at fault for that student being diagnosed with lung cancer. According to Better Health Channel, in a average cigarette alone there are about 7,000 chemicals that harm almost every organ in the body.

“It is relatively harmful,” said senior Dalton Anderson. “If you start to smoke at a young age it can be more addictive.”

According to American Cancer Society, nicotine is the drug in cigarettes that can lead students and many others to be addicted. If a person is truly addicted, then they will continue smoking even though it starts to affect their health and life in a negative way.

While smoking hurts the people who choose to smoke them, it’s also hurting the environment and students around smokers. As students walk to their car or to the bus they pass cigarettes or the occasional empty box.

“I have seen students smoking in the parking lot,” senior Nina Bui said. “I don’t like it, because I feel it’s an advertisement to kids that get easily pressured into things. So when they see a ‘cool kid’ doing it, they feel they should do it too.”

American Cancer Society also states that many smokers do start smoking as teenagers. A common reason that was given was because they thought it was “cool.”

No matter what new discovery is made about cigarettes, it seems that some students will still smoke.