It’s More Than Getting an A

Adrianna McLean, Reporter

Figuring out what to do with one’s life is probably the hardest decision a person can make. From the moment a child can speak, they are asked “What do you want to be when you grow up?” From princesses to astronauts to firefighters, imaginations run wild and dreams are limitless. Among these dreamed professions, is that of being a doctor.

Unfortunately, as these kids become older, decisions become harder, and real-life sets in. But some still carry the pressure behind some of these ideas. Students have been noted saying things such as, “If I just get an A, I can make it in medical school,” or “I just have to make it through 10 years of school. It’ll be fine.” While an A may get you into the school of your choice, it won’t keep you there.

According to the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC), only about 15 percent of students dreaming to be a medical student will succeed. In high school, one needs to excel to get into an accredited university. On average, it takes 10-12 years to become a doctor.

The time it takes to become a doctor alone is enough to deter some students. But before pursuing a career in the medical field, a student should take into consideration several other factors. One of these factors is some students do not have the capacity to assimilate all the newly-learned material. A student should also consider changes in life circumstances, such as getting married, having a baby, or a death in the family. These challenges may draw students away from studies that are all-too demanding in the medical field.

Also, being away from home for the first time is daunting enough, and many students lack self-discipline, organization, prioritization of their agenda and the ability to keep up with their household, family, friends, and the material they’re studying.

So what does it take to succeed in the medical field? Succeeding in the medical field is more than just a grade. If a student chooses to pursue a medical career, it becomes a lifestyle. Early mornings, late nights and new information to retain every day. Going medical requires students to fully immerse themselves in their education. A student will need to put off relationships, save up money and study almost every day. But, if taking on a medical career is really what someone wants, they need to be able to do three things to be successful.

Firstly, a student needs drive. A student must have the ability to remain interested in their studies, which requires them to actually want to succeed. A student can’t go into class expecting to breeze by or catch up the next day. Every day is going to come with it’s own wealth of information, and in order to do well a student needs to be all in and ready to learn when going to classes for the day.

Secondly, a student needs to know what it is they want to do in the medical field. Choosing classes and asking questions about the field of medicine they want to study is going to greatly increase a student’s chances of doing well. Sitting back and not knowing what a student wants to do may lead students to future regrets, when in class that student could have been centering their learning around the specific field of medicine they choose. Blindly going into medical school isn’t the most beneficial.

Lastly, a student needs to make time for themselves. Students need to find outlets in which they can escape from the day-to-day intensive studies that medical education entails. Being involved in other activities and having hobbies of a student’s own interest can digress stress, anxiety, fear and pressures of schoolwork. It’s important for students to have a mental break.

If a student manages to surpass all the challenges, a career in the medical field will be worth the struggle. Not only will a student be financially well-off, but also have the ability to help people and cater to their health/medical needs.