Former Campus Supervisor Becomes Teacher’s Assistant

Simmons Switches Role at the School

Elyse Bredfeldt, Writer, Copy Editor, Editor-In-Chief

Known as Coach Simmons to the student body, former campus supervisor Jordan Simmons is now a student teacher at the school. Simmons held multiple roles in education, including special education and Academy paraprofessional, ISS supervisor, in addition to his current role – a  student teacher working to complete his K-12 physical education teaching certification.

He will student-teach for 12 weeks with PE teacher Daryl Williams and four weeks at Bell Prairie Elementary School. 

“I am working with the entire physical education department,” Simmons said. “I am working with coach Rampee, coach Bennet, coach Wilson.” 

Photo by Humberto Bermudez

Williams said that as Simmons’ supervising teacher, he ensured Simmons was up to date on school policy, checked his lesson plans, evaluated his work and mentored. Williams said Simmons was doing well in the role and showed certain strengths. 

“He’s really good at building relationships. He takes advice really well. He’s really trying to learn and get better,” Williams said. 

Simmons said the change was inspired by a desire to find a stable career in education and influenced by the positive perception of teaching he developed over the years. 

“I’ve developed a love for education throughout my years in the high school,” Simmons said. “I decided to go ahead and get my teacher certification.” 

Simmons said that his transition to this role went more smoothly because the location was one where students knew him. 

“I’ve been fortunate enough I get to do my student teaching where students who are familiar with me and know my expectations and how I go about things,” Simmons said.

Senior Deon Burtin had Simmons as a basketball coach as well as a student teacher. Burtin said the energy Simmons brought to the court was different from what he brought to the classroom. 

“As a coach he’s more rowdy,” Burton said. “ He has more energy. As a teacher he’s more laid back.” During this time, Simmons had learned skills that would be valuable in the field. 

“I’m learning the lay of the land,” Simmons said. “How to engage with students, how to command a classroom, things of that nature.” 

In addition to learning applicable skills, Simmons also said he had been inspired by seeing the educators around him. 

“Seeing how they engage and the respect they have for students and their peers is driving me to want to be a part of that,” Simmons said. 

Simmons planned to finish his two-year program at Northwest Missouri State University and find a teaching role by the upcoming fall.