KC to Korea

Student Competes in World Championship

Carolyn Dickerson, Reporter

Monster addict, hair dyer and now a black belt in taekwondo. Sophomore Alex P’Pool is a small girl who may seem sweet and would never hurt anyone, though when faced with danger, she is quick to defend herself.

P’Pool was invited to go to a taekwondo world championship in Korea in July of 2014.

“I was so excited to be invited. My instructor came up to me and asked if I wanted to represent them at the world competition,” P’Pool said. “I was afraid my parents wouldn’t let me go, but I thankfully was able to, even though it was with my grandma.”

P’Pool ended up going to Korea with her grandmother, her two instructors, the grandmaster and a family friend, Julie Kim, who is now currently studying in Korea the art of taekwondo.

“My favorite part ended up being when I got to actually perform for the judges. The actual tournament,” P’Pool said

Poomsae, or “form” is what P’Pool had performed for the judges, and she earned third place in the world championship.

“I was holding myself to a higher standard, but figured it was better than what I could have gotten,” P’Pool said.

P’Pool’s start in taekwondo was unexpected. She was with a friend who was going to a taekwondo class, and she didn’t want to leave her friend, so she called her mom and ask to join taekwondo.

“It was all spur of the moment; I was really surprised when my mom actually agreed to take me,” she said.

She said she enjoys seeing people’s reactions when she said she is in taekwondo so much, and that’s the main reason she stays in.

“Taekwondo is a lot of hard work, but I love it anyway,” she said.