Renaissance Festival Falls Into Place

Mistie Morgan, Reporter

Every fall, many people go to the Renaissance Festival to enjoy the shows, follow the stories of different characters or to just have a good time. There are also shops that sell handmade crafts, clothing and antiques.

The royal family members are the most sought-after characters within the festival. Queen Catherine Parr, acted by Wendy Morris, was able to speak about her experience with the festival.

“My friend and I decided to take our kids to Renfest,” said Morris. “It had rained terribly that year, so we took refuge in shops as we visited. I went to a shop named Sofi’s Stitches, and they gave us jobs because we were so chatty with everyone. Since I am an acting junkie, I was bit with the bug, and I auditioned. I’ve been involved for eleven seasons.”

To become a character within the festival, you must first go through auditions, just like any other production.

“When you audition for the queen or king role, so much goes into it,” Morris said. “You must be a mentor, be able to schedule time off for various promos and visits, and enjoy the public and kids. You are one of the most sought after people at festival. You are the mascot.”

Playing the role of the queen is a busy schedule. Throughout the day, the queen is attending different shows or events. For example, jousting tournaments, knighting the kids and court dancing are some of the events she takes place in. The queen, being royalty, is constantly being introduced to new people.

“I enjoy meeting the people and kids in the lanes first and foremost. Getting hugs from a ‘Tinkerbell’ makes me melt and forget if my corset is pinching me or if my feet are sore,” said Morris.

Morris’ daughter soon joined in the Renaissance Festival, and they both agree that it’s hard work but worth their time. Students don’t have to work within the festival to be a part of the fun.

“I love how you feel like you’re taken to a fantasy world. It’s awesome how the people working there never break character. I love the atmosphere; everyone is just there to have fun. It’s like interactive theater,” said junior Kylah Herman.

Many students love visiting the festival and sharing their experience with their peers. To some, Renaissance Festival is the equivalent of a football game to sports fans.

“My favorite part about it is how it portrays the medieval times,” said senior Ryan Villagran. “As far as what I look forward to, I like everything.”

The Renaissance Festival takes place in Bonner Springs, Kan., next to the Cricket Amphitheatre. It began Aug. 31 and ended Oct. 14.