Classroom Struggles

Sierra McCullom, Reporter

Learning is a necessity when it comes to school, and with some teachers handing out guided notes and worksheet packets, it makes it harder to understand the material, and me less likely to remember. According to CLASS: College Learning and Study Skills by Debbie G. Longman and Rhonda Holt Atkinson, if someone writes something down they will remember it better. By giving students worksheets it minimizes the amount  actual notes students take because most of these worksheets have important information already printed on them. For many students, taking notes on their own is a major benefit. It gives them the option to write things in a way that they can understand.

It has become hard for me to keep grades up, without many visual aids and a step-by-step process, especially in math, where it’s important to have steps and explanations. Now some people may say it’s easier to remember notes if they have worksheets because they don’t know exactly what information is important but taking their own notes will make it easier for them to understand the main objective.

In a sense, it’s understandable that many students actually prefer guided notes, but if you are like me and can’t easily remember things, it’s a hassle to go through the book and go over the lesson on your own to teach yourself. Many students need step-by-step instructions. I think it would be much easier for some students if the teachers would give out a worksheet listing important sections for students to know and then go through the lesson with steps, and allow the students to go through examples on their own.