Giving for the Greater Good

Staley Students Partake in Biannual Blood Drive

Laura Rosario

During the biannual American Red Cross blood drive on Nov. 16 in the Flex Auditorium, senior Erica Woolery gets her blood drawn. She said it was her sixteenth time donating blood. “The needle doesn’t scare me as much anymore since I’m used to the whole donating process,” said Woolery.

Hannah Zank, Reporter

Students volunteered in the 2016 fall Blood Drive Nov. 16 in the Flex Auditorium. This event was hosted by the American Red Cross and run by students in Leadership class.

With one donation, there is a possibility that someone’s blood could help save up to three lives. The amount of blood American Red Cross was able to collect from the students and staff could help about 150 people.

“I think teenagers enjoy the fact with very little effort, they can help save lives,” said Leadership teacher Andrea Holmes. “Our goal for this blood drive was 60 pints of blood. About 70 people signed up and we collected roughly 50 pints.”

Beforehand, participants need to be hydrated, preferably dressed comfortable and prepared with a form of ID.

“I drink a lot of water regardless, so it’s good to stay hydrated.  I definitely ate a good breakfast before I came in because I didn’t want to get sick,” said senior Erica Woolery.

In order to donate, participants must go through registration, a check up on medical history and a mini-physical to make sure that qualifications are met. All of these measures are taken for a safe and secure procedure during and after the donation.

Depending on weight, the average amount of blood in a human body is about 10 pints, according to the American Red Cross, so donating one pint wouldn’t affect a person. This process takes about 6-10 minutes, and it’s over with. To promote easy recovery to prevent passing out, snacks and drinks are supplied, but the better reward is knowing that it’s going to the greater good.

“I choose to donate often because there are people who need blood all the time, and If I could help make a difference, I’m more than willing to,” said Woolery.

This wasn’t the first time Woolery donated. She said she has donated blood 16 times at the school blood drive and volunteering at the Community Blood Center.

Caption: