Transition to the Digital Era

Artist Goes Digital

Samantha Fogg, Reporter

After eight years using a regular pencil and paper for drawing, in fifth grade, freshman Jenny Le decided to try something different. Inspired by digital speed paints via YouTube in 2012, Le switched over to digital art and used a program called Paint Tool Sai. The tablet that she used was a gift from her uncle.

“At first, I was terrible because I needed to get used to the program. It is like Photoshop but with less materials,” Le said.

Jenny’s first picture drawn with Paint Tool Sai was of a white cat with blue eyes. Teaching herself to draw digitally made the process of progression slow but not impossible.

Le decided to use her talent to create gifts for people. At the age of 11, people started paying her to make them art which led her into a personal business. She began posting her art on a website titled “DeviantArt” which contained her first digital drawing of a Pokémon. Using DeviantArt allows her to be “paid” in the website’s currency called points.

“My commissions were very cheap; 10 points at the most,” Le said.

In 2014, she became bored of “Deviant Art” and switched to a less popular site, “PaigeeWorld.”

“I really like the website since it is a small community and comfortable to be a part of,” Le said.

After joining PaigeeWorld, Le said that she has improved significantly.

Major accomplishments occurred after switching to PaigeeWorld. Le was picked to be a daily feature, which is chosen by a moderator. After the daily feature, her number of website followers increased drastically from 800 to 2,041. Le currently has 279 drawings on PaigeeWorld. She is still active today and plans on becoming a 2D animator for TV shows and cartoons in the future.